DIFFERENCES: Compared to his Kenner counterpart, the Top Toys Darth Vader is:
- Moulded in a harder, more brittle plastic
- Shorter in height
- Has excessive flashing, typically on limbs and helmet
- Has lack of ‘sculpt’ detail, see chest plate & mouth piece on the helmet for good examples
- Has EPM marks on all limbs
- Has no peg holes in the underside of the feet
- Has a different spray mask on chest plate
- Has paler red paint details
- Was packaged with a semi-transparent v6 Lightsaber & unique cape
- Has no COO markings
Poor QC also resulted in minor differences between batches.
- Poorly positioned lightsaber hole
The Top Toys Darth Vader came with a semi-transparent v6 Lightsaber and is compared to the Kenner Lightsaber.
DIFFERENCES: Compared to the Kenner lightsaber, the Top Toys lightsaber is:
- Lighter in colour
- Has a thicker Tip
- Has a shorter main body
- Is semi-transparent with flecking
- Has a large EPM on the side (*)
- Floats during the water test
(*) Until now the EPM mark has never been properly documented on the Top Toys lightsaber variant. So, on behalf of the TIG team, I can now reveal with photographic evidence that this can be found on either side of the main body, thus concluding that the mould tool contained multiple cavities – some of which were mirror images.
- Both lightsabers float when placed in water
- Kenner lightsaber sinks when tapped
The Top Toys Darth Vader came with a completely unique cape compared to any other Darth Vader figure. Therefore, I have only shown the Top Toys version below.
DIFFERENCES: Compared to the Kenner cape, the Top Toys cape has:
- Squared off bottom corners
- A more pronounced peak
- A unique “leather” effect finish to both inner and outer sides