DIFFERENCES: Compared to his Kenner counterpart, the Top Toys Darth Vader is:
- Moulded in a harder, more brittle plastic
- Shorter in height
- Has excessive flashing, typically on limbs and helmet
- Has lack of ‘sculpt’ detail, see chest plate & mouth piece on the helmet for good examples
- Has EPM marks on all limbs
- Has no peg holes in the underside of the feet
- Has a different spray mask on chest plate
- Has paler red paint details
- Was packaged with a semi-transparent v6 Lightsaber & unique cape
- Has no COO markings
Poor QC also resulted in minor differences between batches.
- Poorly positioned lightsaber hole
The Top Toys Darth Vader belongs to COO family #X This family contains only one main variant.
Due to the poor, almost bootleg quality of the Top Toys figure it is impossible to identify which COO family was on the original Kenner figure used for the tooling The NO-COO shown on the far right is unique to Top Toys and therefore no relative exists. A “HONG KONG” COO Kenner figure has been used for the comparison below.
The Top Toys Darth Vader came with a semi-transparent v6 Lightsaber and is compared to the Kenner Lightsaber.
DIFFERENCES: Compared to the Kenner lightsaber, the Top Toys lightsaber is:
- Lighter in colour
- Has a thicker Tip
- Has a shorter main body
- Is semi-transparent with flecking
- Has a large EPM on the side (*)
- Floats during the water test
(*) Until now the EPM mark has never been properly documented on the Top Toys lightsaber variant. So, on behalf of the TIG team, I can now reveal with photographic evidence that this can be found on either side of the main body, thus concluding that the mould tool contained multiple cavities – some of which were mirror images.
- Both lightsabers float when placed in water
- Kenner lightsaber sinks when tapped
The Top Toys Darth Vader came with a completely unique cape compared to any other Darth Vader figure. Therefore, I have only shown the Top Toys version below.
DIFFERENCES: Compared to the Kenner cape, the Top Toys cape has:
- Squared off bottom corners
- A more pronounced peak
- A unique “leather” effect finish to both inner and outer sides